Important: This is only for use on UNIX systems
Note: You may need to make some adjustments depending on the flavor of your unix system.
1. Login as root
2. wget http://www.sphinxsearch.com/download...x-0.9.8.tar.gz
3. tar xzf sphinx-0.9.8.tar.gz
4. cd sphinx-0.9.8
5. ./configure --enable-id64 --prefix=/usr/local/sphinx
7. Did you get Error 127 during step 5? Install gcc-c++ using the following command and then repeat step 5.
yum install gcc-c++
8. make install
9. Did you get dependency errors with steps 5 or 7? Install mysql-devel using the following command and then repeat steps 5 and 7.
yum install mysql-devel
Configure for vBulletin
1. Import product to vBulletin AdminCP’s Product Manager.
2. Upload the contents of the upload folder to the vbulletin root directory.
3. Assuming your forum is located in /home/vbulletin/public_html use this command:
cp /path/to/sphinx-0.9.8/api/sphinxapi.php /home/vbulletin/public_html/packages/vbsphinxsearch
4. At the end of your vbulletin config.php file, add the following:
* Sphinx configuration parameters
$config['sphinx']['host'] = '127.0.0.1';
$config['sphinx']['port'] = 3312;
$config['sphinx']['path'] = '/usr/local/sphinx'; /* No trailing slash */
5. Upload vbulletin-sphinx.php to /usr/local/sphinx/etc alongside the default sphinx.conf (May be named sphinx.conf.dist) file.
6. Change $myforumroot in vbulletin-sphinx.php to the exact forum root (Example: /home/vbulletin/public_html).
7. Set vbulletin-sphinx.php file to executable using:
chmod +x /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php
8. Change directory to your sphinx folder using: cd /usr/local/sphinx
9. Get the cron zip using:
10. Unzip the cron.zip file using:
11. Set all crons to executable using command:
chmod +x /usr/local/sphinx/cron/*.sh
12. Run the main_norotate.sh cron using:
13. Run the delta_norotate.sh cron using:
14. Start the daemon using:
/usr/local/sphinx/bin/searchd --config /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php
15. To verify your Sphinx is working you can enter: ps ax | grep search[d]
If the above returned something such as: /usr/local/sphinx/bin/searchd --config... the daemon is running.
16. You should setup crons to run every 10 minutes on /usr/local/sphinx/cron/delta.sh and run /usr/local/sphinx/cron/main.sh once nightly.
17. Go to your AdminCP->Options->Search Type. In the drop down, select Sphinx Search, then hit go.
18. That is it! Sphinx should now be working correctly on your board.
Note: Do not upload your vbulletin-sphinx.php to a web accessible URL. Doing so would give away your database details. If you follow these
exact instructions, it will not be in a web accessible URL.
Another Note: If you adjust any of your config.php credentials you will need to bounce your sphinx.
Yet Another Note: If you rebuild the threads in the admincp, you must re-run the main.sh